Black and white, sweet and savoury, Mars and Venus, Yin and Yang. When it comes to life, the best way – most of the time – is the happy middle. The golden middle way as we call it in Hungary. And when I speak about life, I mean every aspect of it. Like interior (Feng Shui anyone? :)), or cooking, or work or just getting dressed. I wrote a thing or two about style and such, and this word,’balance’ always came up. It does, because I really believe, that the right propotions can make the outfit. And today I’m gonna explicate a bit more what this balance thing means to me.
Ok, so first things first, it’s really important to state that the right balance is different for everybody. There’s for example the main Man Repeller Leandra Medine, who with her quirky, colorful, feminine, but mostly out of the box style is a true fashion hero. Yes, sometimes it’s way to much, but still, it works for her, because that’s her, and she couldn’t deny it. And because it works for her, it works for everybody. Well, probably just on her.
Then on the other end of the scale there’s Ivania Carpio, who’s all about minimalism, in it’s purest form. Clean lines, white and some black or grey everything, see trough materials and some metal accessories. For me, it’s almost boring and steril, for her, it’s endless creativity. And that works for her.
I’m between them, loving clean lines and neutral colors with a touch of vivid color or breaking my way too practical side with a touch of feminine fashion or edgy sturdiness. Just a touch of not so me something what can stir the standing water, making it more exciting, more me.
The possibillites are kinda endless with colors, shapes, fabrics, fits and styles, which make the whole thing interesting, sometimes annnoying, but still challenging. So here are some tips (what’s working for me) to get it right:
- Wear long with short and vica versa, like a mini skirt with high tops or over the knee boots in wintertime. Or shorts with a longer coat or waistcoat. Or high waist jeans with cropped tops.
- Wear something loose on top with skin tight skinnies or wide leg pants with fitted tops, so you won’t drown in your clothes.
- Wear neutrals with something colorful. Like a full black outfit with red shoes or a full white outfit with cobalt blue. Or on the other way around, wear colorful, printed clothes with simple accessories, so your look won’t get too busy.
- Wear different fabrics, like patent leather with chunky knits or distressed denim with brocade or leather with tulles. It works nicely even though they have the same color, but then again different neutrals work too.
- Wear something new with something old, like a vintage tee with designer jeans or shoes. Or high end with a piece from your grandma’s wardrobe or the local market.
- Wear feminine with masculine, like boyfriend jeans with high heels or dresses with sneakers, or oversized shirts with skinny jeans.
These few trick and tip work pretty nicely, with finding the right propotions you can make the whole outfit more you, more exciting which is enough to feel yourself better in your skin. And clothes. Eventually maybe in your life too. 🙂
Because balance is the key, right?