In the previous part I told you about how personal a basic wardrobe could be and I collected some questions and answers to create the perfect one for yourself. Now, as I promised I’m gonna share my thoughts about my personal basics and why I love them.
I went trough all of my wardrobe (bags and shoes included) and checked which are those items without I cannot live. Ok, obviously I could but you get my point, clothes are needed. Full stop. The result is the following:
- Black leather jacket. This is a true core item. I’ve had mine for years now and I know it’ll be painful when I have to replace it.
- Khaki parka. Khaki is my color. It’s not black and suits my complexions perfectly. Also I need a lighter coat with a hoodie for rainy days.
- Knee length black oversized wool coat. For winter obviously.
What could have been here: a camel coat for some change in winter and bomber jacket because it’s somewhere between lighter and warmer outerwear and it’s short. I’d be fine without them but they’re nice additions to my wardrobe.
Leather jacket and parka – Mango, winter coat – &Other Stories, camel coat – Zara, bomber jacket – TopShop
- Plain (or striped) t-shirt. No brainer. You can use a good tee every day in a year sometimes just under a jumper or sweater for some layer, sometimes under a jacket.
- Plain tank top. Similar to tees but they’re better to warmer weather and as they don’t have yokes you can pull them of under anything with deeper neckline too.
- Standard white (or blue) shirt. For more elegance or just to dress up something.
- Chunky jumper. Again for winter. And it’s so cozy!
- Cashmere jumper. For spring, fall and winter. Did I mention how soft they are?
- Hoodie or sweater. For casual occasions and for some warmth.
- Sharply cut black blazer. Again for more elegance or just to dress up something.
What could have been here: a chunky cardigan or a waistcoat. And maybe a more feminine blouse. I tried these many times but never found the perfect ones.
Striped, white T-shirt, grey cashmere, chunky jumper and black blazer – Zara, tank top – ASOS, hoodie – TopShop, white shirt – New Look
- Blue jeans. This very moment I’d say a vintage (like) mid blue, faded Levi’s 501 because high waist and straight legs are beneficial for every body shape and they’re cool. But if you’re more into skinnies or wide legged jeans it’s equally right.
- Faded black skinny jeans. The ultimate joker card which can go with anything and almost every occasions.
- Black suit trousers. For those more elegant occasions or when you’re not into jeans.
- Leather pants. When you want more edginess. They give an instant cool vibe to anything.
- Denim shorts. For summer! Or winter with tights. 🙂
What could have been here: a leather or denim skirt but I never was a skirt person or maybe just never have found the perfect ones. Maybe this denim skirt will change my mind.
Black skinny jeans – TopShop, Leather pants – H&M, suit trousers – Zara, blue jeans, cut off shorts and denim skirt – vintage Levi’s
- Black leather or suede ankle boots. For spring, fall and winter with everything.
- White sneakers. Because all my shoes cannot be black. 😛
- Black and white Converse: Sporty, cool, black and white.
- Black leather loafers. When you cannot wear your ankle boots but need more elegance.
- Black leather slippers. For summer.
What could have been here: Over the knee boots for some change over the ankle boots. And a nice pair of black or some other neutral pumps with high heels. Actually I’ve been living for years without a black pair and sometimes I really miss them but the same time I’ve never felt a big urge to hunt them down.
Black ankle boots – Acne Studios, black babouches – Zara, loafers – Vagabond, black and white sneakers – Converse, white sneakers – Adidas
- One bigger everyday black leather handbag. For work and travelling.
- One smaller black leather messenger bag. For going out or just strolling around.
- And one natural colored textile bag for summer. Because summer deserves its own bag. 🙂
What could have been here: Some nice pretty big travel bag something like a LV one but something more affordable and maybe a bag with some color like burgundy. I love the color burgundy in theory but have never met a bag IRL which I really liked (and it wouldn’t break the bank).
Bigger everyday bag – Saint Laurent, messenger bag – Proenza Schouler, frayed textile bag – Mango
- Classic watch. A must have for me which can add a nice final touch.
- Leather belt. Well, I wrote quite a lot about the importance of belts. What more could I say?
- Some decent jewellery. I have my pendant necklace, my earrings and wedding ring which I never take off.
What could have been here: Scarves, hats, caps, underwear which you know, you just need because you can never underestimate the importance of warmth or a good underwear.
Belt – COS, watch – Daniel Wellington, ring – costume made in Budapest 🙂
These items would make my basic wardrobe total 23 pieces if we count every item just once. But of course a girl needs more than one t-shirt, tank and jumper which would rise the number around to 30-35. And of course there are those things which maybe not entirely in the basic category but we love them so that could be a total 50. And I counted this on a climate which has no 4 proper seasons but something similar. 🙂
So these are my basics, those things I’m totally fond of. I’ve had most of them for years now and I know I’ll have them for years to come. And once again this is my very personal choice of clothing which suits me in every sense. Maybe you cannot imagine your wardrobe without a pencil skirt or a hat with red pompoms. And that’s all right, after all different.
What things are in your basic wardrobe?