As I said before my favorite items in my closet are accessories. And under the term accessories I mean boots and bags too, even though I think they’re more than that. You cannot go outside without shoes (obviously) and sometimes you keep your whole life in your precious bag. I believe in the style elevating effect what the right shoes and bags can give to an outfit even if that certain dress or jeans don’t worth millions of bucks.
After this little prologue I’d introduce my main question to you:
Why on earth is so hard to find a good bag (which doesn’t cost a smaller fortune)?
It was main problem (I mean in dressing wise not life wise :)) back in Budapest and after we decided to move here to London I thought it would be better. Much better. Well… it didn’t get worse but I’m still struggling.
I have to admit that I have pretty high expectations when it comes to bags. Namely these are the following:
- The outside of the bag has to be made of leather or suede. I love canvas bags to but that’s an other story. The inside could be textile or canvas, I don’t mind and I don’t need leather interior at all.
- I like bags with minimalist, clean style like Celine or Givenchy bags. It could have a little twist in shape, color or material for example Loewe Puzzle bags but it cannot be to busy.
- I prefer neutral colors but I’d like to have a nice burgundy or terracotta.
- I prefer a good medium size. I don’t like too small bags. I know they are trendy and I like the look but if you cannot put even your phone in your bag then what’s the point? On the other side I don’t like too big bags either. Yes, they can be useful but I rarely could fill it up and if I do it’ll be way to heavy to carry it.
- The bag should have shorter handle(s) and longer strap. But the longer is a must. It’s always handy when you can put your bag on your shoulder and it’s even more handy when you can wear across the body. I prefer shorter handles they can be useful when you want to wear your bag differently or if you want to get out something.
- The bag has to have a functional closure and easy access into the inside. There are tons of nice bags out there but they have annoyingly bad closures (or no closure at all). And if you need something fast? Your phone, a tissue, oyster card, keys, medicine, whatever? Maybe I don’t have the proper nerves for this but this is an instant no-no.
- Even better if the bag has an external pocket. Where you can storage all those things I wrote above. Then the excess to the main compartment might be bit more circumstantial.
- The bag should have internal pockets too. I don’t like if a bag is a bottomless hole. I try to avoid or terminate chaos on every level. My bag needs to be tidy too and the solutions to this is internal pockets.
- Finally I prefer the bags with rivets on the bottom to protect it. It’s the least important thing but if the bag has it that’s always a plus point.
I know these are a lot of expectations. But I learned my lessons long time ago. There’s no point to buy something which you don’t like using or don’t use at all. I rather use a few bags which I like than have a lot which I couldn’t stand. And because all of these regulations, I’m willing to pay a bit more. After all a really good bag worths it. You can spend more money on useless cheap bags than one quality one which you love from your bottom of your heart.
BUT! And this is a big but. I do not swim in money. I have to think twice what I spend our hard earn money on. Of course I like to buy those Celines and Givenchys and Loewes. And Guccis and Chloes. But they’re beyond our limits.
I was hesitating a lot about saving money and buy one ideal designer bag. But it’s too much time and too much money to spend it once. The smaller Puzzle bag is for example around 1300GBP an Acne Studios bag is 1000. At fast fashion retailers a leather bag is around 80, at a better quality retailer lets say it’s 150 (oh, and I won’t start how much our 1 month rent costs). And that’s a huge difference. Maybe if I had a bit more income and I could reduce the time period I could justify designer prices. But at this point I just cannot.
Somewhere I get designer prices too. The brand, the expertise, the quality of materials and making these products all add to their price. What I do not understand it’s why, oh why do no nice, functional, quality bags exist in the middle price range?
Zara and Mango has nice bags but most of the time the quality is poor. Of course sometimes you can find something worthy (especially if you have no expectations in the color department). This Zara bag was a very pleasant surprise. It has everything what I want in a bag and that’s rare so there was no hesitation and there’s no regret either. But truth to be told, I wanted a different color like taupe, burgundy or terracotta. And it seems that’s a mission impossible.
I already mentioned you here, I succeed few days ago and I bought a new bag. And I’m in love with it. It has all the right details. Actually even more than that, because what I love most in this bag that’s its unique shape. It has a twist but simple at the same time. (I won’t say it doesn’t have a slight resemblance with the Puzzle bag, but I don’t mind at all).
But you know what? It’s still not the non black color I wanted. But at least has a bit pink here and there. And that’s something I have to appreciate too (I do). 🙂
Now I’m thinking buying this bag in this perfect blue color too. You could ask why I didn’t buy that on the first place. The answer is I like to play safe. I’m not sure I could use that bag at full potential because it’s blue. A gorgeous blue though. The second reason it’s suede. I love suede maybe even more than leather. But it’s a blue suede and I’m little bit afraid I have to baby it all the time.
But it’s still in my head and now I just want it to settle a bit. Should I go for this blue or wait for an other nice bag which is may or may not meet my expectations above? I don’t know but I want to figure it out before they sell out because there’s nothing worse to regret something what you didn’t do when you had the chance.
The conclusion? You don’t have to spend big bucks of money on bags because you can find nice things on high streets, pre-loved sites and even in vintage stores. However, for this price range you have to make some compromises. Or you can start to save for the ideal designer bag while don’t spend a penny on anything else. Either way if you don’t have fortunes you have to make compromises.
If you want a nice quality bag you can give a shot to &OtherStories and JCOS Studios. They have really nice things with affordable prices. Case in above point, if you want to buy from JCOS, expect to one month delivery time at least. And they don’t have the best Customer Service either. Compromises, compromises…
Let me know where you can find your dream bags.